Elective grants for medical, dental and veterinary science students
Council wishes to offer a limited number of awards to enable
medical, dental and veterinary science undergraduates to work
on microbiological research projects during their elective periods
/ extra mural studies. The purpose of the awards is to provide
students with experience of research and to encourage them to
consider a career in microbiological research.
The studentships provide a maximum payment of £1850 to support travel and living expenses for a period of up to 10 weeks. An additional sum of up to £400 for specific research costs may also awarded.
- All applicants must be medical, dental or veterinary science
undergraduates undertaking their clinical studies at a university
in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
- The awards may be held at any established microbiology research
laboratory in the UK or abroad. Candidates are encouraged arrange
their project at a laboratory away from their normal place of
- THE RESEARCH PROJECT MUST BE ON A MICROBIOLOGICAL SUBJECT
AND IT MUST BE REALISTICALLY DESIGNED. Projects that continue from intercalated BSc projects (or
SGM Vacation studentships) will be considered.
will be assessed by a Council Award Panel, based on the reports
of two referees. The scheme is competitive and applications
will be judged primarily on the scientific merits of the project
and the suitability of the applicant.
- The project should take place over a maximum of ten weeks.
Projects of less than six weeks duration will not be funded.
- The awards will provide a contribution of up to £1850
towards personal expenses (travel, accommodation and subsistence).
An additional sum of up to £400 for specified research
costs may also be awarded. Grants are made to the institution
to which the applicant belongs, not to the student, on the understanding
that it will administer the award.
- It is a condition of the award that the student completes
a feedback form, countersigned by the host scientist, at the
end of the studentship.
- There will normally be two rounds of application during each calendar year. The next closing date is 18 March 2011.
- Applications must be made on the appropriate form. THREE copies of the completed application form and all supplementary documentation must be submitted for consideration.
Enquires to firstname.lastname@example.org | 0118 988 1807
Download an application form here
Applications should be submitted by post to Grants Office, SGM, Marlborough House, Basingstoke Road, Spencers Wood, Reading RG7 1AG, email to email@example.com or Fax to 0118 988 5656.
Closing dates 18 March and 23 September 2011
Last modified 1 November 2010